Thursday 14 June 2012

Marriage Again

Oh look!  It's another group of Christians complaining about gay marriage!

The Church of England has warned that proposals to legalise gay marriage could undermine its status.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".

What intrinsic nature?  Marriage is a human construct.  Historically it has been about inheritance and property rights, and polygamous marriages have been common.


...the Church of England said government proposals to allow same-sex marriages by 2015 would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman, as enshrined in human institutions throughout history".
It said marriage acknowledged "an underlying biological complementarity which, for many, includes the possibility of procreation".
So, obviously, any heterosexual couple who get married and don't intend to have children are wrong to do so.  For fuck's sake, do these people ever think about what they are saying in their rush to be homophobic?

I do wonder why this surprises me so much.  I mean, this is the type of stuff we've seen time and again, and it doesn't carry quite the level of hatred seen elsewhere.  I guess some part of me still wants to believe that the CofE is not so bad, likely a legacy of being raised (loosely) as Anglican.  Surprised or not, though, I make no apologies for getting angry about this type of bullshit.

You know, part of me wants to be happy about this.  If religions are so determined to be bigots, they'll drive people away.  Young people are increasingly in favour of treating LGBT people as people, even in the USA.  So it seems to me that religious dogmatism on this issue will only make religions less relevant.  But I can't let that side of myself win; real people are hurt by bigotry.

No comments:

Post a Comment